Monday, August 31, 2026

Monday, August 31 (First Day of School!)

 Hi parents,

Thank you for visiting the classroom blog! I will try to update it every day after school to give parents a summary of the day, as well as upcoming school events, forms, field trips, etc. Please do not feel obligated to read it every day, just know its here if you ever have questions about what we're doing in class. Having conversations about your child's day at school is actually a great way to help them consolidate new learning.

We had a fantastic first day back at school. I was really struck by how polite, respectful, and positive the students were. I think its going to be a great year.

Today wasn't the most exciting day ever - the first few days rarely are - because we spent a lot of time talking about classroom / school expectations, and re-establishing familiar routines. I felt bad for the Grade 4's who had to hear all this for the second time but I know its really helpful when the whole class is on the same page.

The students learned how we'll start each day, with work period and morning math. We worked on 'cubby labels' for art, so that tomorrow everyone will be able to have a dedicated cubby in which to store their personal school supplies, library books, etc. In writing, the students had the choice to either write about their summer breaks, or to write about something they didn't do this summer, but would've liked to do. 

In the afternoon we had some mindfulness time, and talked a bit about the value of mindfulness. Then we did some Quiet Reading. 

Finally, I introduced the class to 'spelling practice', which is another weekly routine we'll do throughout the year that will help students develop their spelling skills and expand their vocabularies. I will also post this week's spelling words on the Blog if anyone wants to practice at home. I know they're easy this week. I promise they will get harder. I want everyone to feel confident this first week, which is all about building new routines and reviewing familiar words.

We ended our day by reading a story from "Sideways Stories from Wayside School". Its something of a first day tradition. 

Have a nice night,

Zac



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Spelling Words (First Week of School) & Info About Spelling

 Hi parents, Here are the spelling words we're working on this week. I've also included the annual blurb explaining how spelling wor...